If you really want to hide your digital footprint online, check out this short ebook from the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI).
In the near term, some simple steps you can take:
- Use a password manager (to make it easier to use strong passwords), such as Lastpass.
- Add a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to your home devices. I use ProtonVPN.
- Backup your files with a syncing service such as Backblaze, Crashplan, Amazon Glacier, etc.
- Consider encrypting local folders/directories.
- Use multiple email addresses based on activity (purchases, social media, personal, work, etc.).
These are simple steps you can take that aren’t too overly paranoid or complicated.